Friday, November 16, 2007

The Asterisk Era


After all the speculation, the booing and the best selling books, a grand jury apparently found hard evidence that Barry Bonds did steroids and since he said he didn’t in a courtroom, he’s been indicted for perjury. A guilty verdict could land him in jail for up to 30 years.

The B man will probably never see the inside of a gray bar hotel, and honestly I don’t think he should. I am a baseball purist; if I didn’t root for an American League team and worship at the altar of David Ortiz, I would hate the designated hitter rule. I wish more pitchers went the full 9 innings and it bothers me when guys don’t run out ground balls. So naturally I can’t stand that so many guys did/do steroids, and used their help to break some of the most hallowed records in the game. But the thing is, more and more evidence is coming out that everyone was doing it. Juiced up hitters were being celebrated for slamming homeruns off juiced up pitchers who were being celebrated for somehow getting better after their 37th birthdays. In real life “everyone was doing it” isn’t an excuse, but in sports it almost is. If 80 percent of your opponents are using something to get an edge and you’re not …well, there’s a fine line between being noble and being a chump is all I'm saying.

Barry Bonds is a jerk and it’s a shame he had to be the one to break a record set by one of the classiest guys to ever play the game. He deserves the public scorn he’s earned. But jail time for cheating at a game? I think our courts have more important things to do.

2 comments:

Red said...

What's more important then our National Pastime?!?!?!??!

Oh. You're probably talking about murder and war and stuff, huh? Or as I like to call them, poor people's problems.

Liz said...

Hahahahaha!